Tuesday, May 25, 2010

More about my upcoming India trip.


For anyone that doesn't know, I am volunteering full-time as a Missions Training Intern with the Hillside Missions Organization at 1004 N Thompson St, Suite 302 here in Richmond. I will be finishing up my missions training here at the end of July and then I’m going on a three-month trip to India starting around July 20th. During my trip, I will be very busy teaching English at a slum school in Northern India. If you've seen Slumdog Millionaire, you've seen part of what an Indian slum looks like. A slum is an area where all of the poorest of the poor live, many in dilapidated houses with poor sanitation and little hope of improving their lifestyle. Most of the families in the slum live on less than a dollar a day. Imagine that!

Naturally, it’s going to be a pleasure and an adventure to bring education and love to everyone I can there. Since English is the language of business in India, learning it can be a great asset for those in poverty. I have received training Teaching English as a Second Language and am currently preparing for the trip.

On top of my full-time job here at Hillside, I am working part time at the downtown Buffalo Wild Wings to be able to partially pay for the trip myself. However, since I am only able to work part-time there, I am also relying on support from different sources to help pay for the $3000 trip. I am more than halfway to my goal now but am still looking for new ways to raise support.

If you're interested in looking up our organization, Hillside's website is ReachTheNations.org.

Our online catalog can be used for donations to people and trips. If people are interested in giving a tax-deductible donation to the trip, the link is ReachTheNations.org/EverettHill. Donors of $25 or more will receive custom shirts made by yours truly!

Thank you!
Everett

No comments: